Pinterest is something that I’ve lost hours of my life from. It has become my new tumblr but the difference is that pinterest makes me feel more productive. That being said I’ve found a lot of posts that seem to have become viral and that people have tried and failed miserably at. I’ve read the pin’s original blog posts and scanned the comments/complainants. A poplar pin under fire is the DIY Sharpie Mug. People seem to up in arms about this post. I figured I would give it whirl and see what side of the fence I landed. Also may I add that this “DIY” came under $10 for me…go me for save a buck!
Get the Goods:
- 1 ceramic mug – $2.99 at the consignment store.
- Sharpies (in your favorite colors) – $1.29 x4 = $5.16
- Rubbing alcohol
- Cotton Balls
Prep your stuff:
- Wipe your canvas (your mug) with alcohol. This is to remove any oil or residue on the mug.
- Draw, squiggle, doodle, mark, polk-a-dot, stripe, or paint your mug to your liking.
- Place your mug on a cookie sheet just for good measure.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven and turn the oven to 450 degrees.
- Once the oven is preheated start the time for 30 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, turn the oven off and let the mug cool down in the oven.
|P is someone special. ; )|
|A cup for myself. 😀|
IT’S WICKED EASY!!!! As long as you have some way to make markings on a surface than you’re good to go.
The colors don’t come out as vibrant before they’re “fired” but not dull in any way. After scrubbing them in the sink they don’t seem to fade at all but I still don’t trust them to dishwasher.
P.S. – If you wanna follow me on Pinterest, click here.